Areas of expertise
- power electronics
- variable speed motor drives
- electric propulsion systems
- embedded control
- embedded comms protocols with CAN and RS485/232
- 10+ years VisSim experience
- 13 years experience in electric motor drive industry
- Ph.D. EE, Texas A&M, College Station, TX
- Dissertation: “An Investigation of Traction Motor Characteristics for Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicle Application”.
- member IEEE and SAE
- VisSim/ECD programming of TI F2801 and F28027 devices for embedded vector motor control with serial and I2C packet protocol
- Ford Ecostar Electric Drive Systems: Designed and built prototype inverter for PMSM and ACI motors for electric, hybrid electric and fuel cell vehicles.
- Designed high torque PMSM motor for gear less, in-wheel traction application
- 350HP heat-pipe cooled variable speed pump for sewerage application.
- General Motors: Designed and coordinated manufacturing of the electric propulsion motors for new generation hybrid electric SUVs.
- Designed and programmed PMSM and Li-polymer battery pack system for vehicle propulsion
- Z. Rahman, “Comparison of permanent magnet motor topologies for an in-wheel, direct-drive electric propulsion system”, Accepted for publication in the IEEE Transactions of vehicular Electronics.
- Z. Rahman, M. Ehsani, K. L. Butler, “An Investigation of Traction Motor Characteristics for Electric and Hybrid Electric Vehicle application,” 2000 SAE Journal of Passenger Cars – Mechanical Systems, Vol. 109, Section 6.
- Z. Rahman, L. Kabir, J. Kamruzzaman, “A Simple Approach on Developing Analog Neural Networks,” Journal of Institution of Engineers Bangladesh – Electrical Engineering, Vol. 41, paper no. 6, Dec. 1996.